Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Header Ads Widget

LOGAN HICKS - THIN VEILS AND HEAVY ANCHORS



Acclaimed New York-based street and stencil art visionary LOGAN HICKS will be exhibiting Thin Veils And Heavy Anchors, a new solo show of his work in Los Angeles, CA. Thin Veils And Heavy Anchors will debut at LACE (Los Angeles Contemporary Exhibitions) on March 8, 2013 and run through March 10, 2013, and marks a return for an artist whose works have been shown in Auckland, Cape Town, Shanghai, Taipei, and just about everywhere in between.



Originally a professional screen printer, Hicks’ work has gained considerable global recognition for its exploration of the urban environment and its ability to capture the sometimes-mundane cycle of city life in a haunting, yet highly refined, manner using hand-sprayed stencils. His new body of work has evolved. The paintings have moved inside: from endless streets of colorful building facades up to six feet in scale to more intimate interior settings; from exterior cityscapes to the interiors of various buildings; and from distant lights to the direct gaze of figures who are in the process of walking away or climbing up stairs; shapes and curves of emotionless figures juxtaposed against the rigid linework of architecture bring attention to the contradictions of the city.

“I used to get the crap beat out of me daily. Every day as I got off the school bus, I was beat to the point where I just wish I could disappear. Become invisible. I was a 6ft tall, skinny, suicidal, insecure redhead who didn't have the confidence to stand up for myself. Those years sucked. I stood out like a sore thumb. It wasn't until I left for college that I found my 'home,’”said Hicks. “I arrived in the city of Baltimore for college and for the first time since elementary school, nobody noticed me. Nobody called me names. Nobody tried to beat me up. I had finally succeeded in pulling a thin veil over the awkwardness that had followed me for most of my life. I was normal. I had become part of the fabric of my environment. It was the most amazing feeling. Ever since then, I have been in love with the city. The potential it represents. The freedom. I feel more attached to the city that I live in than the people that live within it. The city has become my anchor."



When looking at Hicks' current work, one starts to realize that the minimal scenes are metaphors for the decisions one makes in life. Breathtaking and meticulous, this body of paintings is not about one man's journey as much as it is represents the possibilities of the world. As much as we all strive for a struggle-free live, it's clear that it's the struggle that defines us.

Hicks adds "I've always seen my architectural pieces like stages for plays that haven't yet happened. Each element has its own personality. Each building is a metaphor for that which is about to happen. Doors open worlds, stairs elevate, hallways lead to the future, walls represent adversity. The architecture painted is not literal - it is the architecture of the mind.”

“For over three decades, LACE has been bringing together innovative and visionary artists with a passionate and curious public,” said LACE Executive Director Carol Stakenas. “We’re thrilled to be hosting the first solo exhibition of Logan’s work in Los Angeles -- it’s a great match for Hollywood and the Walk of Fame.”



Logan Hicks is managed by Pat Magnarella and Roger Klein at Pat Magnarella Management Inc. in Encinitas, California.

“Working with Pat and Roger is a new era for me,” said Hicks. “Being a good artist means more than being able to paint. It means making the right decisions on who align yourself with. Picking the people you work with is just as critical as picking the right paint to use. Now, by joining Pat and Roger I feel like I can focus on what I do best - translating the ideas and images that I have in my head.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ulamonge Blog Search